Financial Aid for Graduate Students

The Graduate School has created a special resource for students to help them identify financial support. Please visit the Graduate School’s website for detailed information.  Below is a quick synopsis of the types of aid available to graduate students.  It should be noted that, as a rule, financial aid is exceptionally limited for graduate certificate and master's level students.

  • Graduate Assistantships. Many academic and some non-academic departments offer graduate assistantships. In return, students perform teaching, research or administrative services within the department. All graduate eligible students may apply for a graduate assistantship, including international students on F-1 or J-1 visa status. International students on a visa status which by law does not permit them to work on campus, are not eligible to hold a graduate assistantship (i.e. H-4, L-2).
  • On-campus Employment. The Office of Student Employment assists students in obtaining temporary student worker positions within the University. Please visit their website,, or their office in room 200 A, in the King Building, for more information.
  • Off-campus Employment. The University Career Center (UCC) operates a database called NinerJobNet which offers part-time and full-time employment opportunities. Detailed information about the services offered within the UCC is available on their website at or by visiting their offices in 150 Atkins Building.
  • Graduate School Philanthropic Awards. Various philanthropic awards are administered by the Graduate School on a competitive basis. In nearly all cases, the individual graduate programs must determine student eligibility and submit nominations to the Graduate School. See the Graduate School's website for more information.
  • Graduate School Tuition Awards. The Graduate School awards a limited number of tuition awards to new and continuing graduate students who have assistantships. Students must be nominated by their Graduate Program Director to be considered for these competitive awards. For more information on tuition awards, see the Graduate School's website.
  • Externally Funded Awards. Many organizations outside of the Graduate School and the University offer fellowship and other award opportunities to students at all levels of graduate education. Access searchable databases to assist you in finding current sources of aid via the Graduate School's website.
  • Financial Aid. The Office of Student Financial Aid administers several federal, state, and institutional financial aid programs available to graduate students at UNC Charlotte who complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This application helps US Citizens and eligible non-citizens gain access to gift aid (such as grants) or self-help aid (like loans). International students on any temporary non-immigrant visa status are not eligible for federal financial aid. See the Financial Aid website at for more information. The federal school code for UNC Charlotte is 002975 to complete the FAFSA.
  • Private Loans. Additional funding for domestic and international students may be secured via individual bank loans through private lenders. To view UNC Charlotte’s preferred lenders, see aid/loans/alternative-loans.

In addition to federal financial aid and philanthropic awards, many employers offer support for continuing education. Please check with your Human Resources Department to research possible financial assistance.